Monday, August 26, 2013

“He will lead you to them or He will lead them to you.”


สวัสดีค่ะ ครอบครัว!!

Hello family!!

Yeah! I can type in Thai. (It doesn't matter much that it took me 3 minutes to find all of those letters. I can still type in Thai. Haha.)

This week I have two experiences that I want to share. It was a very interesting week; being on a mission is a bit like being on a roller coaster. Especially with language confidence. There were times this week when I thought “Hey! I’m getting this!” and other days when I thought, “What in the world are these people speaking—it’s not English or Thai.” But it’s all a grand adventure here in Saphaan Suung and I love it :)

On Tuesday, Sister Weed had to go to a training meeting in Asoke (where the mission office is), so she and another trainer, Sister Orchard, left very early that morning. That meant I got to be on exchanges with...Sister Slaugh! It was so fun! We got to catch up a little bit and then we took on the streets of Bangkok without any trainers (EEEEEEE scary). Haha. It was crazy.

So before I get into my next stories that I really want to share, here is a quote from “Preach My Gospel” that I’ve been thinking a lot about this past week. I was able to experience it firsthand. It’s so incredible to see how the Lord guides his children. The quote goes “Strengthen your faith that the Lord is preparing people to receive you and the restored gospel. He will lead you to them or He will lead them to you.” All I can say is my faith was definitely strengthened this week in this promise.

So on Monday night when Sister Weed and I found out about her meeting, I was thinking about our Tuesday plans. She had already fallen asleep when I realized that we had a first lesson planned with a new investigator named Top. The Thursday before, he walked into the church while Sister Weed and I were there and told us he wanted to become Christian. It was a really promising lesson and we were super excited about it. So as I was lying in bed, not yet asleep, I realized Sister Weed would be IN A MEETING and that I would have to teach the lesson with Sister Slaugh. And I literally woke up once every hour and freaked out about the lesson. Ooooh I was so stressed. I have never prayed so much for so much heavenly help in my entire life.

Sister Slaugh and I got to the church about a half hour early to set up a room and to prep Sister Ploy, who helped us teach. She is so cute and always so willing to help :) So we told her we were going to talk about prayer, the Godhead, and baptism. And when Top got there, I was so calm. And I was able to teach him without any major language barriers. It was the most amazing lesson ever. He accepted baptism without any hesitation. And I’m going to confess something, but I am one of those missionaries who actually likes to peek at their investigators when they pray, especially the first time they pray. So...yeah. I did that. And Top was smiling so big when he prayed for the first time. It was the most heart-warming, wonderful experience ever.

The Lord led Top to us.

On Saturday, Sister Weed and I were planning on going inviting at our favorite park. To get to said park, we have to ride through a really big housing community called “Perfect Place” (aka America 2.0) to get there. In this housing community, there is a smaller park with a big lake. As we rode past it, Sister Weed suddenly said, “Hey! Let’s go there instead!” So we turned our bikes around and headed to the Lakeside Community Park.

We walked around the lake for a while and talked to people, and it was literally the best weather in the whole world. It was probably one of 4 times that I haven’t been sweaty outside since I’ve gotten here. I was looking around and saw a woman sitting on a bench writing in a journal. I turned to Sister Weed and said “Her.” So we wandered over to her and I asked her what she was writing. It turns out she writes novels in her free time. I sat next to her on the bench while she explained that this particular novel was a romance—a sad romance, so sad she cried while writing it. We continued to have a nice conversation and then she looked at my nametag and said, “Oh, you are Mormon!” Sister Weed and I were SO surprised. That is literally unheard of in Thailand. People don’t know the church. They hardly know Christ. She explained that she was introduced to the church about 40 years ago. She said she remembers learning about Joseph Smith, but didn’t really remember much. Earlier that day, I decided to put a Restoration pamphlet in my bag, just in case. So I was able to pull that out, and Sister Weed and I were able to talk with her about the First Vision. We asked her how she felt about it and she said she felt it was true. She then asked us if she could learn more and come to church with us. We of course told her yes. So we are now teaching Nitaa.

The Lord led us to her.

This week when we talked to Brother Bing, I asked him how he was doing. The conversation went like this.
“Hi, Brother Bing, how are you?”
“THANK YOU FOR THE TRIPLE”
“You’re welcome! I’m so glad you love it”
“It’s so pretty! And I can finally learn about the priesthood!”
It was such a great moment :)

Yesterday before sacrament meeting, Sister Lek, who is a recent convert of almost a year came up to Sister Weed and I and said, “Sisters, I have something for you.” She then handed us both a pair of real pearl earrings. Not a joke. They are real pearls. Sister Weed and I agreed that we are never going to take them out of our ears. They are perfect. She is such an amazing woman.

I’m so glad to be serving in Saphaan Suung. I love Thailand. I love all of the people and all that I am doing and all that I am learning and just absolutely everything. And that’s the honest to goodness truth.

I love you, family. Thank you for your love and support. I miss you like crazy.

Love,
Sister Hungry

Lookin good in our rain ponchos from Seven. 
We found Amway. 
You know you’re in Thailand when...you find duck heads on the sidewalk.
Life from the perspective of 3-year-old Fang who stole my camera.
Those are the elders and then me and Sister Weed. Fang is in the red shirt with a furby,
and Jacqueline is the daughter of an investigator of the Elders.


No comments:

Post a Comment