Monday, July 7, 2014

Eye Contacting


Me with some of the little ones. I love them. They gave me that flower that's in my hair.

Hellos and สวัสดีค่ะs all around! And hooray for America!! :)

This week was pretty great. We have a cute new investigator named Fai. She is 15 years old. We taught her about the restoration of the gospel on Wednesday afternoon, and on Saturday she called us to tell us she had finished reading the entire Book of Mormon. WHAT?! She is so great.

This last week Sister Croft and I have been struggling to find new investigators. Ever since we got to Sisaket and opened up our area, we have been so blessed with lots of people to teach. We have never really gone through a drought...until recently. Our contacting has been really hard. But I have discovered that every companionship goes through one of these droughts, and we will find those who are prepared. But knowing that, we also know that we have to do our best to make our contacting effective. We fasted last week to know what we could do to change up our contacting and how we could more sincerely bear our testimonies to people. I had multiple thoughts pop into my head while we were fasting, but the one that really stuck with me was "make eye contact." So I did, and I have been trying to make lasting eye contact with people while I talk to them.

This week during my personal studies, I read an about a miracle in Acts that only reassured me that this is what I need to do while I contact. This is in Acts 3, when Peter and John heal a man who was lame since birth. The whole miracle started with eye contact. Read closely.

 1 Now Peter and John went up together into the temple at the hour of prayer, being the ninth 
hour.
 2 And a certain man lame from his mother’s womb was carried, whom they laid daily at the gate of the temple which is called Beautiful, to ask alms of them that entered into the temple;
 3 Who seeing Peter and John about to go into the temple asked an alms.
 4 And Peter, fastening his eyes upon him with John, said, Look on us.
 5 And he gave heed unto them, expecting to receive something of them.
 6 Then Peter said, Silver and gold have I none; but such as I have give I thee: In the 
name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth rise up and walk.
 7 And he took him by the right hand, and lifted him up: and immediately his feet and ankle 
bones received strength.
 8 And he leaping up stood, and walked, and entered with them into the temple, walking, and 
leaping, and praising God.

So do you see it? Peter fastened his eyes upon the man. He acknowledged him. Peter, with John, gave attention and compassion. He made the man look back at him. And then he gave him a gift greater than gold and silver—something the lame man was searching for but didn't know was possible. They gave him hope and healing through Jesus Christ. And it all started with eye contact. 

Here is another experience I want to include. This week we taught a lesson to a husband and wife. The husband was interested...the wife was unfortunately not. She didn't want us to pray to open our appointment or anything. It was a little strange, and we didn't know what to do. Sister Croft and I looked at each other and were like "uhhhhh what do we do now?" And that was when I felt a voice as clear as day say, "Tell them who I am." We testified of God and of Christ and of the real and undying love they have for each and every one of us. The wife ultimately rejected our message and dragged her husband out of the church. Sister Beth, the sweet member we were teaching with, turned to me and asked if I was ever scared. It occurred to me in that moment that I had not even thought to be afraid in that lesson, and I had to think about why for a moment. And then it came to me. I told Sister Beth that when we testify of things that are good and true, when we stand as witnesses of God and of Christ, we have nothing to be afraid of. It reminds me of the hymn Let Us All Press On. "When we do what's right, we have no need to fear." I know that is true. I have experienced it in my life over and over again. No matter what opposition comes our way, if we are doing what is right, we will be watched over. 

This week we also had zone training in Ubon. Happy Fourth of July to us! All of the missionaries at the training were from America (except Elder Cooper who is from Australia). We celebrated by eating burritos because what is more patriotic than eating Mexican food? Right? Man I miss burritos. It was also a great way to celebrate my year in country. Our training was great, and I feel like what I really learned was how to hasten the work without being hasty. It also reaffirmed my eye contacting that has been on my mind so much. Also my new zone leader is Elder Cox, who was my district leader back in Lampang! (You know, the one with the harmonica in his front pocket.) I love when you get to serve with elders and sisters again. Elder Christensen from Pakkret is in my zone, as is Elder Astle. It's a regular party with all of these people. 

And now for some special prayer requests! The girls who were baptized—the girls from Sister Panjaree's school—need some special help. They are amazing. But they have a teacher who is giving them some grief and making it hard for some of them to get to church. In Thailand, teachers can hold activities on any day of the week...and he is choosing to hold these activities on Sundays. He is threatening to dock points from their grades if they go to church instead of these extra activities. The girls all pray for him and are only ever kind. You should hear how Sister Panjaree praises them for how they act with him. But they need a little extra help. Any prayers would be so appreciated :)

And there was my week. Today Sister Croft and I are headed to Ubon again...haha. Sister Croft accidentally left her scriptures in a taxi at Zone training, but all is well because they were found! The taxi driver called in and said, "Some foreigners left a book about Jesus in my taxi..." :) So off we go! 

I love you, family!! You are the greatest. All of my loves to you <3

Love,
Sister Hughes

Quotes of the Week. There are some good ones.

Me: "Elder Lim, you have really scary cheeses. Nuts! . . .sneezes."

Sister Croft: "I think he was from Aflica. Ow. Africa."

Here is an elephant at a market.
Sister Bew is now in the Missionary Training Center!  : )
I love this school uniform. It makes every Thai boy look like Russell from the movie Up! 

No comments:

Post a Comment