Monday, September 22, 2014

Thailand, September 22, 2014


My MTC District
Dearest Family Family Dearest,

And so begins my last transfer in Thailand.
WHAT.
It's the strangest thing to think about in the whole world.
This week we spent a lot of time in Bangkok for various reasons, which I will shortly explain, and it was wonderful. I am beginning to get used to the overnight bus trips to Bangkok. I don't know if that's a good thing? : ) Anyway. Here are the transfer updates!

Last Monday for p-day we went to Kumpawapi. It's a little tiny town that has park...full of monkeys. It has been Sister Muller's dream since the MTC to go there. And so we did. It was a good day. On our way home, we got the "moose call" (Elder Black used to think that the Moves Call was called a "moose call" when he was a greenie...I'm still cracking up about that one). We found out that Sister Adams, Elder Davis, and Sister Speas were all moving. It was hard. Sister Adams had been here for a long time, and Elder Davis and Sister Speas had both only been here for 6 weeks. 

We traveled to Bangkok Tuesday night; we needed to be there by 8 am Wednesday morning to renew our visas. My MTC group was there. It was so good to see everyone. We were able to just talk for a while we were waiting for all of our paperwork to be processed and I loved it. The rest of Wednesday was spent going to the mission office, and helping with the new missionaries (18 NEW MISSIONARIES THIS WEEK. And next transfer we are getting 21!), traveling around Bangkok, going to Book of Mormon classes, etc. We stayed the night in Pakkret with Sister Packard and Sister Embley. I got to see BookBeak :) So fun. We also got to see Elder Trabing who we now call Hunter. He is back in Bangkok teaching English. 

Transfers came and now I am companions with...SISTER PACKARD AGAIN! And Sister Speas moved to Pakkret with Sister Embley. Sister Muller is training Sister Hatch and Elder Black is training Elder Martindale (who is actually taller than Elder Black, believe it or not...they are a giant companionship ha). Two more sets of elders have been added to our zone—one companionship in Nong Khai and the other companionship in Sakonakhon. We are all super excited about that. Our little zone is growing :)

After our transfers meeting, we had an all-missionary meeting; President Senior talked with us and shared counsel about the direction for our mission. As missionaries, we have worked very hard and diligently to find, teach and baptize. Now it's time to more fully work towards finding, teaching, baptizing, retaining and reactivating. We talked about involving members more in our missionary work. The changes are good changes and inspired changes, and we are all excited about the effect this can have as we serve. We are striving for balance in our work, like I mentioned last week. 

I am so excited for this transfer. Our zone is filled with wonderful missionaries. I can feel that great things are going to happen. 

This week I have been reflecting a lot upon how much I love this country. On our bus trips to and from Bangkok, we get to see so much of Thailand. I love looking out the windows watching the country. I have seen so many miracles and so many wonderful things happen here with so many wonderful people. I feel so blessed to be here.

This morning in my personal studies, I was reading in 1 Nephi 21 and I re-read a verse that I had read in the MTC. It got me then. And it still gets me every time. 

 13 Sing, O heavens; and be joyful, O earth; for the feet of those who are in the east shall be
established; and break forth into singing, O mountains; for they shall be smitten no more; for the 
Lord hath comforted his people, and will have mercy upon his afflicted.

THE EAST! That is where I am. This is where the church is also being established. The Lord is building and supporting His people in this great country. I am so grateful to be a part of it. :)

Please continue to pray for the people in Udon. We are taking good care of them. And many need some extra help from up above.

I love you, family!

Love,
Sister Hughes

Sister Adams, Sister Muller. McDonalds on our songtaew. 
 Kumpawapi. Me and a monkey; he stole a waterbottle.
Kumpawapi. 


Me, Philip, Sister Speas.
Transfers meeting.
LOVE me some BookBeak

No comments:

Post a Comment