Monday, June 23, 2014

The week here in Sisaket, Thailand


Ubon District Conference, June 21-22; missionaries and new members
Dearest Family,

This week I would like to present Suzanne Morgan with a golden star for identifying the curious bug from last week as a whip scorpion or ‘‘vinegaroon." Congratulations! And thank you!

As for the rest of the week here in Sisaket, Thailand: Things have been pretty great. On Monday for our p-day we went to Ubon to celebrate Sister Painter's birthday. We went bowling! It was probably one of the most hilarious things ever...the bowling alley we went to was documenting the whole thing with cameras. We're pretty sure our faces will end up on some sort of billboard for their bowling alley in the not too far future.

That night at Family Home Evening, we were attacked by bugs. There are these bugs in Thailand that will swarm lights when it is about to rain. I don't know what they are, but they're curious to me. Anyway, as we were eating dinner on Sister Bew's front porch, the bugs started coming in normal numbers...and then they kept coming...and kept coming...and kept coming...until we couldn't even see, the air was so thick with bugs. It was actually the most ridiculous thing I've ever seen. Everyone was screaming with laughter. I'm pretty sure I haven't laughed like that in a really long time.  :)

We spent a lot of time trying to find new investigators this week. That = a sunburned neck. But it's all worth it. 

We taught Prem this week. We had some of the most amazing lessons with her. We taught her on Tuesday and she told us that she felt unsure of being able to keep the commandments completely. We invited her to read 3 Nephi 11 (Christ teaching at the temple about covenants between God and man) and pray about being baptized when she went home. We saw her again on Thursday and she said she still didn't have an answer. We reviewed the baptismal interview questions to help her know that she did understand and was prepared for baptism. And she felt better but was still just not feeling as much confidence in herself as she wanted. We suggested to her that she could interview and see if she felt better after that, so we set up an appointment for Friday. We met with her and had the most spiritual lesson I have ever been in. She was interviewed, was ready, confident and was so so excited! I can't even begin to tell you how amazing she is. I feel so privileged and blessed to have been able to meet her and help her. If I move this week (oh, yeah, transfers are this week, people!), I think it might be one of my most cherished memories of this area—helping Prem grow closer to her Savior. I will keep everyone updated on her progress, of course :)

This week I have thought a lot about three verses in the Book of Mormon. They are verses we found while we were trying to help Prem, and they in turn ended up shaping my entire outlook on my week. Alma 37: 44-46. They are so good. (They are referring to the liahona, or a compass that worked according to faith.)

44 For behold, it is as easy to give heed to the word of Christ, which will point to you a straight course to eternal bliss, as it was for our fathers to give heed to this compass, which would point unto them a straight course to the promised land.
 45 And now I say, is there not a type in this thing? For just as surely as this director did bring our fathers, by following its course, to the promised land, shall the words of Christ, if we follow their course, carry us beyond this vale of sorrow into a far better land of promise.
 46 O my son, do not let us be slothful because of the easiness of the way; for so was it with our fathers; for so was it prepared for them, that if they would look they might live; even so it is with us.The way is prepared, and if we will look we may live forever.

I have no doubt that the words of Christ point us to eternal happiness. Who wouldn't want that? Who wouldn't want to be carried beyond the vale of sorrow into a far better land of promise? I feel like that is how it is with all that God promises us and the way He has prepared for us. Give up something good for something better. Sacrifice and trust Him. And a far better land of promise is not far away. If we look to Him, we will live. I know that is true. 

I love you all, and I'm sorry my email wasn't the most exciting this week...it's funny, the longer I am out on my mission, the less I have to say. I feel like I have more experiences, but don't have the words to accurately explain them in one short email. I hope you'll forgive me for this week...I'll prepare better for next week :)

I LOVE YOU, FAMILY!!!

Love,
Sister Hughes

Happy Birthday, Sister Painter! Me, Sisters Croft, Jackson and Painter
This doesn't even begin to capture the massive quantity of bugs that surrounded us!
Family Home Evening; UNO
Me and Sister Dang. She made me a scarf : ) 

Last Waffle Friday lunch meeting of the transfer . . .  sad day.
Ribbon, Sister Croft, Bew and me.
Me, Sister Senior at Ubon District Conference on Sunday.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment